Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Review: The Glass Casket: McCormick Templeman

Synopsis:

Death hasn't visited Rowan Rose since it took her mother when Rowan was only a little girl. But that changes one bleak morning, when five horses and their riders thunder into her village and through the forest, disappearing into the hills. Days later, the riders' bodies are found, and though no one can say for certain what happened in their final hours, their remains prove that whatever it was must have been brutal.
Rowan's village was once a tranquil place, but now things have changed. Something has followed the path those riders made and has come down from the hills, through the forest, and into the village. Beast or man, it has brought death to Rowan's door once again.
Only this time, its appetite is insatiable

Posted from Goodreads


Review:

So I got this one as an e-book because even from the synopsis on Goodreads I could tell this one was gonna be a bit strange and I wasn't too prepared to order it in paper form. However after finding out how gorgeous the cover is I wish I had.
Anyway this is a fantasy/paranormal/fairy tale-retelling YA book that intrigued me from the start.
It follows the narrative of a girl called Rowan, who lives in this little cut off village with her father after her mother died many years previous.
Rowan's village is being attacked by a mysterious creature/beast that has started killing off various inhabitants and when the arrival of 3 strangers in town- things begin to get strange fast. Especially when Rowan meets a otherworldly beautiful girl her age with similarities to herself that she can't explain.

The first half of the book is very slow to get going, there's a lot of focus on the setting and dialogue between characters. Because of the lack of anything really happening, it get's very confusing. And when things do start happening, it just gets more and more bizarre. However the more I read, the more I was intrigued especially halfway through were the writing really picks up and the plot begins to get more exciting.
It's an odd book and an even odder retelling of Snow White (sort of) but I quite like odd and at least it was different. I haven't read anything quite like this and it was really refreshing. The characters took awhile to grow on me, especially Rowan who until towards the end I didn't really get. The second half of the book definitely saves it from being a disaster. I felt like it was more focused, more detailed and more dramatic.

Overall I really enjoyed it, I think I might actually by it properly and then revisit it a few months down the line.
If you’re looking for something a bit different and you enjoy fantasy and paranormal fiction then give The Glass Casket a chance.


Rating: 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment