Saturday, 19 July 2014

Review: Gone Girl- Gillian Flyyn

Synopsis:

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?


Posted from Goodreads



Review:

Yes I know, I'm late to the party as I have only just read this book after months and months of people talking about it. What can I say I jump on bandwagons really late.
So yeah, Gone Girl. Another book I have read this month and have no clue how to review it. I actually finished this book a few days ago but I needed a couple of days to let it sit so I could form a structured opinion on it.
The book follows the story of Nick, whom comes home one day to find his wife Amy missing and the house wreaked. What follows is an unraveling story of two peoples lives and their many secrets.
It's not the sort of book I can say much about unless you wanna be spoiled. The book is told in two perspectives, one Nick's and the other Amy. Hence the two sides to every story thing.
It's very clever, the writing style makes for a pretty good thriller that will keep you guessing until the end. I finished it in two days because I wanted to know what happened.

Is it the best book I've ever read?
No.
But it I would recommended people to give it ago, it's the sort of book you can spend a good deal of time discussing with others because it raises a lot of opinions and theories. That's all I can say in the non-spoiler section of this review.

Rating: 3.5.

Now then, in more detail. Spoilers under the cut.

Where this book held me back from really enjoying it and giving it a higher review was the ending and more than anything the characters. I have a hard time liking a book if I despise every single one of the characters.
This was one of these books. I mean there wasn't a single endearing thing about any of them. You can't pick a side because their both as manipulative, selfish and nasty as each other. Nick; the slightly abusive, misogynistic and cheating husband. And Amy; the, crazy, conniving, murdering wife. The two of them throughout the entirety of the novel are constantly conspiring against each other. It's impossible to pick sides because they're both so repulsive.
(Though what I will say is, men  this is what could happen if you are a bastard.)

The ending though is what sealed the deal on this not being a 4/5 star book, I was expecting a twist. You are made to expect a twist, you are set up to expect a twist.
I was preparing myself for a drop the book holy s**t  moment. And....
it didn't happen. It was very anticlimactic in my opinion. I wanted one of them to do something, the whole time you are expecting either Amy to go ahead with her plan to set Nick up for murder. I was with her at that point, quite wiling to be happy with that outcome. (Let's face it, Nick deserved it.)
But it doesn't happen, she instead murders a pretty much innocent, nice but dumb guy who was helping her instead (why?) and goes back home to Nick with her whole; "I was kidnapped but escaped, etc story." Which works with the cops but just leaves me thinking, "okay."
And Nick, who after catching on to the fact that Amy is setting him up wants nothing more than to find her and kill her. Even tells her this when she returns. But does he do it? No.
So I just felt like, what is the point?
So I get Amy wanted things her way, she didn't want to be divorced and knew to get the marriage the way she wanted it wasn't going to be easy. But I just felt like something should have happened at the end. One of them should have done something, instead of them going back to their old lives, obviously not forgetting what had happened but pretending otherwise.
They hate each other, neither one will be happy with one another. So why?
My opinion. Amy should have framed him for murder. I could have gone with that. But maybe that's just me.
So yeah, characters I don't like and an ending that falls flat let this book down. But as you can see it raises a lot of opinion and debate.  So definitely worth the read.

3.5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment