Monday, 7 July 2014

Review: We Were Liars- E. Lockhart

Synopsis:
We are the Liars.

We are beautiful, privileged and live a life of carefree luxury.

We are cracked and broken.

A story of love and romance.

A tale of tragedy.

Which are lies?

Which is truth?

Taken from Goodreads






Review:

I picked this book up on a whim, not knowing anything about it I wasn't sure what I'd be getting from it. The story follows a girl named Cadence Sinclair and her cousins who each year meet up on this island that their family own for the summer. 
From the start you are already suspecting not everything is what it seems, the whole thing is cased in mystery and suspense. You follow a succession of summers at the island with Cadence, her cousins Mirren, Johnny and his friend Gat. 
That's all I can really say without giving anything away. 
I found it difficult to connect with this book, I did not like the characters and so felt no compassion for them at all. Cadence is not a compelling protagonist and the more and more I read the more I did not care for her or anyone else. The writing structure was odd but not unbearable. The more you read the more you are getting built up for a"Big Revel" at the end. The revelation of what happened during this one summer that the book revolves around just made me angry. I suppose after that I really lost all interest. 
The "Twist" towards the end to me was;
A) Not shocking.
B) Slightly predictable. 
It does however leave you with a few opinions on what actually happened because E. Lockhart does not give a explanation so several questions are left unanswered. 
I know many people have read this book and really loved it and that's great but for me it just didn't wow me. I found it mediocre, that being said I would recommend people to read it if this sort of mystery is your cup of tea. 
Rating: A so-so read.
3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment